Indonesia Hit By Tsunami and Volcano Within 24 Hours
Indonesia has been hit by two natural disasters within 24 hours. A tsunami killed almost 300 people in western Sumatra and a volcanic eruption left 25 people dead. The tsunami was caused by a severe earthquake that hit an island chain off the coast. 3 meter high waves reached the coast and spread almost 600 meters inland. In central Java, one of the most densely populated regions of the country, the most active volcano, Mount Merapi, erupted three times on Tuesday.
National and international rescue teams are underway to bring help to the victims of the tsunami although rough seas and bad weather is making it difficult. The government has organized 16 ships that will bring clothing and medicine to the islands. Some experts criticize that the tsunami warning system, which was installed after the devastating 2004 earthquake, did not function correctly.
Mount Merapi, Indonesia’s “Mountain of Fire” has been spewing out rock and ashes for days. At least 10,000 people had to leave their homes. The volcano has erupted regularly in the past 500 years.
Indonesia is located on the so-called Ring of Fire, which stretches from Alaska across to Japan and south to Indonesia. It is the most active seismic area in the world with many earthquakes and volcano eruptions.
Mount Merapi - Indonesia'a Mountain of Fire
- Tsunamis- Killer Waves
- Pacific Countries Prepare for Tsunamis
- Scientists sentenced to prison for not predicting earthquakes
- densely populated = a place where many people live on a small area of land
- devastating = shocking, badly damaging
- disaster = catastrophe, tragedy in which many people are killed
- earthquake = a sudden shaking of the earth’s crust which leads to a lot of damage
- erupt = explode
- eruption = explosion, outbreak
- function = work
- inland = away from the coast and towards the centre of the country
- install = set up
- island chain = a group of islands
- locate = lie on, situated on
- reach = get to
- rescue team = group of people who try to help the victims of the disaster
- rough = high, violent
- seismic = area in which the earth’s crust moves a lot
- severe = very strong
- spew out = throw out, send out
- spread = move, expand, stretch
- stretch = go from one place to another
- tsunami = a very large wave that is often cause by an earthquake
- victim = someone who suffers because something bad happened to them