Google's Future is Chrome
The world’s number one search engine , Google, has developed a new operating system called Chrome. It automatically connects the user to the internet where people write their letters, emails, post their photos and do many other things they would normally do on a desktop OS .
The development of Chrome started in 2008 when Google built its own browser , also called Chrome. Today 12% of net community uses it regularly.
Google thinks that the operating systems of today, Windows, Apple’s MacOS and Linux are old fashioned and do not meet the needs of the people. Computer users of today we spend most of their time on the net and not with a desktop application .
Google’s vision of the next generation computer goes even further . It wants to put its Chrome OS on laptops and netbooks , so that the user just pushes a button and automatically gets connected . Chrome’s main aim is speed . It wants to make the computer fast. The first tests on netbooks showed that you could get connected to the internet within seven seconds from startup . Chrome OS skips everything from starting up the PC to getting connected.
Screenshot of Google OS
Google also wants to make a computer cheaper. People who buy computers today often have to buy the operating system, anti-virus software and office programs before they can really work with it. This kind of software often costs hundreds of dollars. With these applications on the web you wouldn’t need to buy such expensive programs.
Chrome is not the first operating system that comes from the search engine. Android is already successful on tablet PCs and smartphones .
Windows is still the most successful operating system. Windows 7 has become very popular after the failure of its predecessor Vista. But this may change. By 2012 laptop and major netbook manufacturers are expected to offer machines with Chrome OS preinstalled .
Not everyone will use Google OS . Gamers will avoid it because need better hardware and those that use high-tech software will also stick to normal PCs. But for many normal users, pressing the button and getting connected to your Facebook account may soon become reality .
- The Internet
- Do We Need a New Internet
- Cloud Computing - Using Software on the Internet
- Web 3.0 - The Future of the Internet
- World Wide Web Celebrates 25th Birthday
- account = name and password that a person has in order to use a special program on the internet
- aim = plan, what someone wants
- anti-virus software = program that protects your computer from computer viruses
- application = program
- avoid = keep away from
- browser = a program that finds information on the internet and shows it on a computer screen
- community = internet users
- connect = link
- desktop OS = an operating system that works on a PC without an internet connection
- develop = build
- development = growth
- failure = not a success, flop
- further = more, extra
- gamer = a person who spends most of their time playing computer games
- hardware = physical part of the computer
- high –tech = most modern
- manufacture = make, produce
- needs = wishes
- netbook = small laptop computer
- offer = present, sell
- old-fashioned = not modern any more
- operating system = a system in a computer that helps all the programs work together
- popular = well-liked
- predecessor = here: the operating system before Windows 7
- preinstall = it is already installed when you buy it
- reality = it can really happen
- search engine = a computer program that helps you find information on the Internet
- skip = leave out
- smartphone = a mobile phone that works like a small computer
- speed = tempo, how fast something is
- startup = when you start your computer
- stick = stay with
- successful = liked by many people
- tablet PC = small PC with a touch screen
- vision = dream, idea