Golden Future For London Olympic Park
The company in charge of planning the future of the Olympic Park says it will build over 10,000 new homes and supply thousands of new jobs in the next two decades .
The new part of the town will have town houses, flats and a few high-rise homes. The flats in which the athletes live during the Olympic Games will be turned into apartments afterwards . The company wants to make them cheaper than in most parts of the city.
New schools, kindergartens and sport facilities will make eastern London one of the most attractive parts of the city. The neighbourhood will include parks and other green areas.
The London Olympic Park is split up in two regions with waterways between them. The northern part of the park is the outdoor area, with a BMX park, a velodrome and other structures . The South Park will be more of a cultural area with cafes and panoramic buildings which visitors can climb and get a great view of London.
Jobs are necessary for the development of the eastern London area. The company hopes that new jobs can be created in culture, media and transportation. New firms may also move to the park as it continues to grow. There are even plans to turn eastern London into a second Silicon Valley . As more and more residents move into the area new shopping malls will follow.
London's Olympic Park
- London 2012 - A Review of the Summer Olympic Games
- The Olympic Games
- Houses and Homes
- London Underground
- afterwards = later on, after the games
- attraction = a place that is very popular
- decade = a period of ten years
- development = growth, expansion
- facility = building, room or area that has a certain purpose
- firm = company
- high-rise = very tall building with many floors
- host = the place where an event is held
- in charge of = in control of
- include = also have
- media = newspapers, television and other ways of informing people
- panoramic = impressive view of a wide area of land
- resident = a person who lives in a place
- shopping mall = large area with many shops, theatres, cinemas etc...
- split up = separate
- structure = building
- supply = offer, create
- velodrome = a track that is in the shape of a circle and used for cycling events
- view = sight , what you can see