Internet Gives us More Ways to Watch Television
Some time ago most of us watched television in an old-fashioned way. The whole family got together, sat on a couch, flipped through the channels and watched a prime time TV show or a football game. Today the media , especially television, is changing.
The internet has caused a fundamental change in the world of television. People watch TV on their mobile phones , laptops or iPads . They watch different things at the same time on different kinds of devices . We watch TV in the same way that we used to listen to the radio. We turn it on but really don’t concentrate on it because we are doing many things at the same time.
TV, however , is not really in danger. The number of people with TV sets is still increasing . Big TV events like the Super Bowl still draw millions of viewers in front of the TV set.
Today we have more than one way of watching television. Not only can we follow our favorite programs on different mobile devices but we can also choose what we watch and when. Hulu , for example, is a platform that offers episodes of TV shows and movies on demand . We can record them and watch them whenever we want.
Traditional television meant that you could only watch one program at a time. And you had to be there, or else you’d miss it. In the days of digital content, many of us have a digital video recorder or a smart phone with which we can watch TV.
A company in California has already invented a media device with which you can record TV content and watch it on smart phones, laptops, iPads and other devices . Especially youngsters are watching TV and surfing the web at the same time. The internet has not destroyed television but is giving us more ways to watch it.
Browsing the web on an iPad
- cause = lead to
- choose = decide
- concentrate = focus
- destroy = to damage completely
- device = small machine
- digital = system in which information is recorded as a 0 or 1
- digital video recorder = machine that records content to a hard disc
- draw = attract
- episode = a television program that is one in a series in which the story is continued every week
- especially = above all
- flip = switch channels quickly
- follow = here: watch
- fundamental = basic, deep, important
- however = but
- increase = to go up
- iPad = a tablet computer made by Apple; with it you can watch and listen to all kinds of content
- media = television, radio, newspapers and the Internet
- mobile = portable, something that you can carry around with you
- mobile phone = a phone that you can carry around and use in any place = cell phone
- not only = in addition to , also
- offer = give, present
- old-fashioned = traditional, conservative
- on demand = whenever you want to watch something
- platform = here: website
- prime time = the time in the evening when the largest number of people are watching
- record = save content on a recorder or hard disc
- smart phone = a mobile phone with which you can also run programs
- Super Bowl = the final game of the American football season; it is played on a Sunday in January
- surf = to look quickly through information on the Internet
- youngster = child or young person