Gran Turismo 5 - Driving Simulation at its Best
Gran Turismo 5 is finally out. It’s what the racing fans have been waiting for – the most popular racing game ever launched in its latest edition .
This new version of Sony’s Playstation 3 game took over 5 years to complete . Many new cars have been added , a total of over a thousand, ranging from a VW Camper to a bright red Ferrari. All of them have been created with great detail and precision . The game offers 26 different locations . You can feel the adventure of city circuits in Rome, Madrid and London or drive on well-known racing circuits like the Nürburgring, Monza and Daytona.
Driving in Gran Turismo 5 is a real experience . It makes you feel as if you were really behind the wheel of a powerful car.
The game’s designers will not let you just jump behind the steering wheel of a car. In order to drive some cars you have to pass certain tests that show you the typical reactions of each car. After becoming better and better you can drive more powerful cars and drive on more difficult tracks. Sometimes the license test is so difficult that players who are not patient enough give up.
Cars react just the way you would expect them to in real life. They bounce and shake at high speeds . They become difficult to steer on slippery roads. You can build temperature on the tires to give you more grip on the track . Gran Turismo 5 is the first game in the series to allow real damage to its cars. Apart from racing against the computer you can compete in online races for up to 16 players.
Some gamers , however, see disadvantages in Gran Turismo 5. They say it can unlock its full power only with skilled and able drivers. It’s just like real life. Those who are as talented as Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel will be able to drive faster and achieve more.
Gran Turismo 5 is probably the best car racing simulation on the market. Many people, adults and youngsters alike, will enjoy it, but only few will be its master .
Gran Turismo 5
- able = clever, intelligent
- achieve = reach, do
- add = put in
- adult = a grown up person, not a child
- apart from = other than
- bounce = go up and down
- build = slowly make something go higher
- circuit = a path or route that cars race around
- compete = race against
- complete = finish
- damage = harm, break, destroy
- design = make, create
- detail = the different features of something
- disadvantage = bad side of something
- edition = version
- experience = here: a lot of fun; something very special
- gamer = a person who likes to play computer games
- grip = to give more hold; to stop from slipping
- launch = to appear for the first time
- license test = you have to pass a test in order to get the permission to drive a car
- location = place to drive
- master = to be best at something
- pass = to succeed
- patient = to wait and practice a lot
- precision = very exact and carefully planned
- racing = when people drive against each other and see who is fastest
- range from… to … = to include many different types
- shake = vibrate
- skilled = talented
- slippery = difficult to keep on the track because it is wet
- speed = how fast something is
- steering wheel = wheel that you turn to control the direction of the car
- track = route, racing circuit
- unlock = undo, let loose
- youngster = child or a young person